Re: Fast booting for a Debian system - and suggestions for said system

On Mon,31.Aug.09, 18:56:48, Celejar wrote:

> a)  I've seen some references to doing it in /etc/default/rcS as you
> have it, and some in /etc/init.d/rc.  On my Sid install, the
> standard /etc/default/rcS has no concurrency variable in it, while the
> one under init.d has it set to "none".  Which is the right place to set
> it?  Is either one okay?

/etc/init.d/rc is not a conffile so it will get overwritten on upgrades
without any prompt. As /etc/default/rcS is sourced later on in that
script, the setting in /etc/default/rcS will take precedence anyway.

> b) the comments in the one under init.d state:
>
> # Valid options are 'none', 'startpar' and 'makefile'. To enable
>
> Is 'shell' still the right option?  Is it still even valid?  What about
> the other ones?

According to the comments in /etc/init.d/rc, 'shell' is deprecated (will
update my config), but it triggers the 'startpar' case anyway.

> I've seen:

> which seems to say that startpar or makefile should be used
> in /etc/default/rcS . What's the difference between them?

I'd be interested to know as well.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)