Re: List Ettiquette

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 06:24:55AM EDT, Cameron Hutchison wrote:
> Chris Jones <cjns1989@gmail.com> writes:

[..]

> >Thanks for the idea.
>
> >I will take a look at my .procmailrc and see how I can conversely
> >eliminate these noxious Reply-to headers before they cause further
> >damage.
>
> I feed all my mailing list subscriptions to local news groups, and part
> of that is to feed all incoming list emails through a python script.
>
> I just recently added the feature you're looking for, so maybe this is
> useful. Here's a snippet that should work as a self-contained script on
> stdin and stdout:
>
> #!/usr/bin/env python
> import email, sys
> m = email.message_from_file(sys.stdin)
> # Remove Reply-To if it is to the list
> if m.has_key("Reply-To") and m.has_key("List-Post"):
>     listpost = m['List-Post'].replace("mailto:";, "")
>     if m['Reply-To'].find(listpost) != -1:
>         del m['Reply-To']
> print m

You bet..!!

Careful as I am, I did manage to send "OFF-LIST" replies to a mailing
list by mistake on a couple of occasions.. with no serious damage, it
was just innocuous stuff that I felt was a bit too OT for the list..

But all the same it's not a pleasant experience.

Here's how it happens:

You're in mutt, you hit "r" for reply to poster instead of "L" for reply
to list and this annoying "Reply-To: list" causes the "To:" header that
is automatically created to point to the list instead of the poster's
private address.

I caught a few of those in time, but sooner or later you forget to check
before hitting "y" (send).

Thanks,

CJ