Re: Is there an indexing tool in linux that can help quickly search the contents of all my files?

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 03:18:51AM +0100, Celejar wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 19:20:49 -0500
> Peng Yu <pengyu.ut@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > On windows machines, there is "google desktop" which searchs the files
> > contents. Mac has "spotlight" which also search the file contents in a
> > mac machine.
> >
> > In linux, I know the command 'locate' which search all the filenames.
> > But I am wondering if there is a tool that can search file contents.
> >
> > I know that the combination of 'find' and 'grep' can search the
> > contents, but it is slow. Can somebody let me know if there is a much
> > faster solution which might rely on an indexing database?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_search_engines#Desktop_search_engines
>
> For some reason, the one that I've been using, recoll, isn't on the
> list (I don't think that I can edit it, since I'm apparently not an
> "established, registered user").

There is also Tracker, (http://projects.gnome.org/tracker/) it can be
used with deskbar-applet. I have been using it fora while with very good
results, before I used beagle but its heavier and uses mono.

  José Santos  | Debian Lenny/Sid mixed system
jsantos@ubi.pt |    2.6.30.1-686 SMP PREEMPT