oss-compatibility package warning

I had squeeze mostly working well except no mixer was detected by alsamixer when I ran it. I have one of the Intel sound cards so maybe that's why. I made the huge mistake of trying to install the aumix package and one of its dependencies is the oss-compatibility package. The oss-compatibility package had a fatal dpkg error when trying to install and then oom-killer ran and wiped out services to the point where eventually I lost speakup output. That wasn't good but what made it worse was afterwards running dpkg --configure -a repeated the same behavior and required the system ultimately to be shut down and restarted. At that point I had acquired a system that could no longer take any updates so I had to clean the disk of it. Probably the aumix package and oss-compatibility package need to be flagged so as to refuse to install when relevant parts of alsa are installed on systems in future to prevent this kind of problem from happening again. I was not surprised about the incompatibility but more disappointed that dpkg --configure -a had no better solution for it than this.