Re: Is there an indexing tool in linux that can help quickly search the contents of all my files?

On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 19:20:49 -0500
Peng Yu <pengyu.ut@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On windows machines, there is "google desktop" which searchs the files
> contents. Mac has "spotlight" which also search the file contents in a
> mac machine.
>
> In linux, I know the command 'locate' which search all the filenames.
> But I am wondering if there is a tool that can search file contents.
>
> I know that the combination of 'find' and 'grep' can search the
> contents, but it is slow. Can somebody let me know if there is a much
> faster solution which might rely on an indexing database?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_search_engines#Desktop_search_engines

For some reason, the one that I've been using, recoll, isn't on the
list (I don't think that I can edit it, since I'm apparently not an
"established, registered user").

Celejar