Re: Is there an indexing tool in linux that can help quickly search the contents of all my files?

On Sunday 30 August 2009 07:07:11 debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org
wrote:
> > On windows machines, there is "google desktop" which searchs the files
> > contents. Mac has "spotlight" which also search the file contents in a
> > mac machine.
> >
> > In linux, I know the command 'locate' which search all the filenames.
> > But I am wondering if there is a tool that can search file contents.
> >
> > I know that the combination of 'find' and 'grep' can search the
> > contents, but it is slow. Can somebody let me know if there is a much
> > faster solution which might rely on an indexing database?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_search_engines#Desktop_search_engines
>
> For some reason, the one that I've been using, recoll, isn't on the
> list

Yes, there is and I second recoll. Recollindex can run nice 19 in the
background and you do not know it is running. It simply works.

There is the original opensource one: Beagle. I have not tried it.

Google-desktop was simply too slow, unmanageable and I did not really want
there all-inclusive web-interface (though it has its merits).

Nepomuk/strigi come with KDE4. Resource hawg par excelence. I wish they had
backends for the others, i.e. recoll. Give me a skeleton and I will quickly
produce a krunner plugin for recoll. There has already been a wishlist to
separate nepomuk from the base kde packages. I second the motion.