Re: 5 newbie Linux users & one shared media folder?

On 26/08/09 13:11, Nick Lidakis wrote:
> I'm attempting to setup a Debian Linux/Gnome laptop for a friend, his wife, and
> their 4 kids. Each has a home folder that is private to the rest. They
> have small collection of music & photos that they would like to share.
> What's the most efffective way to accomplish this? This is a
> non-networked machine, i.e., no NFS, etc.
>
> Can I have a media folder in /home without making a user called media?
>
> Do I mkdir this folder elswhere?

Maybe configuring ACL would be a good idea. With ACL you can create group 'media'
and use something like:

    # setfacl -R -m group:media:rwx /path/to/shared/dir/
    # setfacl -R -m default:group:media:rwx /path/to/shared/dir/

to allow all users in this group to read and write files inside
shared directory. This page provides some information about ACL:
http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/acl.htm