Re: Thread hijacking (was: Install gcc)

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 09:33:57AM -0500, David Young wrote:
> On Fri, August 28, 2009 9:14 am, Sven Joachim wrote:

> >> I appreciate your reply, but I don't believe I hijacked a thread.
> >> "Install gcc" is my original subject line that started the thread,
> >> yes?
> >
> > No, look at the "References" header in your message¹.  When starting a
> > new thread, this header does not exist, because there are no messages
> > you are referring to.
> >
> > Hitting "Reply all" (or whatever you did) and changing subject does
> > *not* start a new thread.
>

> I'm clearly too ill-informed to be here.
> Apologies for the intrusion.

There is really no need to be that way. Sven was most likely pointing
this out for your own good as much as anything else.

This can be a high-volume list and it is quite common for people here
to ignore entire threads if it is something that does not interest
them, or is something they cannot help with. By hijacking the thread
(even your own thread) with a new topic like this would cause a
significant number of people to miss your question completely.

Additionally, if someone is reading the thread, it is common for the
original conversation to continue even while your new topic is started
under the new thread. This results in a serious disconnect of the
conversation.

If you are new to mailing lists like this, don't worry about it, just
accept the lessons and in no time at all you'll be up to speed.

regards