Re: 5 newbie Linux users & one shared media folder?

Nick Lidakis wrote:
> I'm attempting to setup a Debian Linux/Gnome laptop for a friend, his wife, and
> their 4 kids. Each has a home folder that is private to the rest. They
> have small collection of music & photos that they would like to share.
> What's the most efffective way to accomplish this? This is a
> non-networked machine, i.e., no NFS, etc.
>
> Can I have a media folder in /home without making a user called media?

yes. (e.g. $sudo mkdir /home/media)

you may wish to also
* create a new group (e.g. $sudo addgroup media)
* add the users to the group (e.g. $sudo adduser uname media)
* set permission the dir to 3770 ( e.g. $sudo chmod 3770 /home/media).
    This will let all users add/delete files from the directory.
* and create a symbolic link from the users home to /home/media
    (e.g. $sudo ln -s /home/media /home/user/media) so the new directory
    will appear in the home folder. I am not real familiar with Gnome so
    I don't know if this will make the media folder appear on the
    desktop or not. There may be Desktop folder.

--
James Richardson
Debian GNU/Linux Consultant