5 newbie Linux users & one shared media folder?

I'm attempting to setup a Debian Linux/Gnome laptop for a friend, his wife, and
their 4 kids. Each has a home folder that is private to the rest. They
have small collection of music & photos that they would like to share.
What's the most efffective way to accomplish this? This is a
non-networked machine, i.e., no NFS, etc.

Can I have a media folder in /home without making a user called media?

Do I mkdir this folder elswhere?