Re: Nvidia cards

Kevin Ross wrote:
From: JoeHill [mailto:joehill@teksavvy.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:35 PM

Kevin Ross wrote:

Only the legacy 173.xx kernel module is in non-free, even in Sid.  If
you
want the new 185.xx series, like for VDPAU for hardware-accelerated
video
playback, you still need to do it the hard way, which still isn't
very hard.

What is the 'hard way'?

http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#Installthekernelmodule

It isn't hard, but it IS a pain because you have to remember to run the steps after every kernel upgrade, otherwise X won't start.

The wiki says there are 4 ways of building the kernel module, all of which revolve around module-assistant.  I use method #5, which is downloading the installer from the nvnews linux forum, and running it.

-- Kevin

Hey everybody!

I have a problem running these methods explained on the wiki. I have a fully updated testing system, running stock 2.6.30-1. The problem is that when module assistant tries to compile, I get that the kernel is compiled with gcc 4.3.3 and I have installed 4.3.4. How do I get over that?

As well as that, giving aptitude search nvidia, I only see ready made modules only for 2.6.26-2 (nvidia-kernel-2.6.26-2-686) which was the previous testing stock kernel. Will we see compiled modules for the new stock kernel?

Thanks,
Giorgos