Re: Nvidia cards

On Wednesday 26 August 2009 16:52:06 Jeff H. wrote:
> Been thinking of switching to Debian. Does it support Nvidia laptop cards?

The "nv" X11 driver is in the Offical Free-Software-Only Debian package
repository.  I think the "nouveau" X11 driver is also being packaged by a DD
but is not in, or scheduled to be in any release of Debian.

The "nvidia" X11 driver and the kernel module of the same name are part of the
non-free repository.  These packages are second-class citizens; their closed-
source nature makes it impossible to resolve non-packaging issues within
Debian.

Packages in Official Stable Debian do not get upgraded to new version from
upstream, so it will not include the latest release from NVidia.  In addition,
the kernel module is not always kept in sync with the latest kernel, so you
may need to compile that yourself.  There are helper scripts and source
packages available.

If you do 3D Gaming, you'll want the nvidia driver, and desipte all my whining
it's actually pretty easy to get working on Debian.  I was doing that for a
while, but I game so little now.