RE: x won't start as a particular user. for other users works fine. what file is causing it? how to troubleshoot?

Kevin Ross wrote:

> [...]

there are few symbolic links to sockets in your home

like .DCOPserver* also ./.Xauthority ./.ICEauthority

I don't think the kids had root access to mess up that much, so the issue is
at user level.

Are you using kde or gnome ... look in their directories. for me in .kde

ls .kde/tmp*
.kde/tmp-bendida:
ksycoca  us..xkm

ls .kde/sock*
.kde/socket-bendida:
Arts_AudioManager  Arts_PlayObjectFactory  Arts_SoundServerV2
klauncherZoDbEb.slave-socket  secret-cookie
artsd-samples      Arts_SimpleSoundServer  kdeinit__0          KSMserver__0
Arts_MidiManager   Arts_SoundServer        kdeinit-:0
maistor-230f-4a956c75

ls .kde/cache-*
.kde/cache-bendida:
akregator  background  favicons  help  http  kpc  krun  ksycoca  ksycoca4
ksycoca4stamp  ksycocastamp  ldapkio

I personally had long time ago issue with ./.Xauthority ./.ICEauthority

regards