Re: ProcMail, WAS: Re: Fetchmail and Gmail

On 8/24/2009 11:34 PM, Paul Cartwright wrote:
On Mon August 24 2009, Micha wrote:
Personally I use fetchmail + procmail to fetch and filter my mail

I use fetchmail to pull in my mail for all my domain accounts. Kmail pulls it
all in via my local user. From there I have many, MANY filters to put mail in
separate folders.
what benefit would I get from procmail?

1. The ability to move from kmail to something else if you want without rewriting your rules. 2. The ability to pull mail without having kmail running (via a cron job or fetchmail daemon) 3. Text file with regular expression based rules that you know where it resides and can back it up and human read it

If you don't care about these three than nothing (some consider the third a downside, not an improvement but that's personal preference not an absolute)

On the downside, if you want to explicitly pull mail now, pulling mail from kmail doesn't pull the mail off your accounts, you need to do that explicitly from the command line

It's all down to personal preferences.

I played around a lot at the time looking for a mail client I'd be happy with (Still haven't found one) and worked quite a bit with mutt (I'm not sure if it even supports pulling mail itself) so fetchmail + procmail was the best option for me.

If this is a remotely accessible machine, you also have the advantage of being able to use a gui mail client locally and a text one remotely or serve your folders via an imap server and then you are not limited at all.