Fetchmail and Gmail

Hello,

I'm having an issue with Fetchmail and Gmail on my system (Lenny).  It
will help if someone could help understand what's going on.

While downloading archived messages (around 20 thousand of them, 800
MB) from my Gmail account via POP3, Fetchmail stopped after fetching
9985 messages.  It now keeps saying that there are "549 read messages"
on the server but clearly, there are many more.  Gmail settings were
untouched and Fetchmail is run with proto POP3 and options ssl and
nokeep.  I've tried toggling nokeep.

What could be happening here?  Any suggestions how I could correct it?
I'm interested in getting all that e-mail via Fetchmail so that
Procmail could sort it out nicely for me.

Apologies if this is OT. I've had a discussion on the Gmail help forum
(www.google.com/support/forum/p/gmail/thread?tid=62df06f1e7b8fd4c) and
on #debian.  I'm also aware of what the Fetchmail FAQ says about Gmail
(fetchmail.berlios.de/fetchmail-FAQ.html#I9) but would like to know if
that is indeed what is hitting me here.

Thanks,
Girish.

--
Girish Kulkarni - Allahabad, India - athene.org.in/girish