Re: Fetchmail and Gmail

 From user's point of view it is something "additional". Instead of
configuring mail setup in single place (MUA, mail program), one has to
set it up both in MUA (retrieve mail from local mail box) and
fetchmail configuration file.

It's not that difficult.  Really.

In my (ordinary user) opinion configuring mail program from its gui
and text file somewhere in the filesystem is more difficult than
editing only one place. And, believe me or not, there are people who

That is your opinion, others don't think that way. That is why there are different options. Plus, fetchmail is MUCH older than gui email programs.

Personally I use fetchmail + procmail to fetch and filter my mail

This way I can easily switch mail clients, also my mail client doesn't have to be running all the time using up memory and cpu.

prefer graphical interfaces for some tasks, finding them more
convenient than command line.

                               The latter (IMHO) has very limited
functionality of password encryption handling,

Sure it doess, with POPS.

Maybe I haven't been understood well. My mail provider gives me a
password. In mail program I add it to some wallet or let mail program
to encrypt it after setting up. If I want to use fetchmail, I have to
write it there in plain text (correct me if I'm wrong), which is not
what I like doing.

                                                no gui integration

Boo fscking hoo.

I beg your pardon?

                                                                   - it
is needed to launch text editor to edit specific file...

Again, boo fscking hoo.

Does this setup have any advantages?

Yes, it does, since it fetches your mail *for you* from your ISP's POP
server, and can send it to an MTA, which passes it thru SpamAssassin and
then an MDA, which then filters your email into separate folders depending
on topic or sender.

So? Where's the advantage? My mail program fetches mail *for me* from
my ISP's POP server, passes it thru any filter (let it be
spamassassin), then writes it to separate folders depending on
basically anything. Fetchmail, MTA, MDA avoided, whereas the same
purpose achieved. Easier.

Another benefit: for the longest time, ISPs had very small mailbox sizes,
and some still do.  fetchmail/getmail running in daemon mode or through cron
every X minutes will keep your ISP mailbox relatively empty, even if you go
away on vacation.

Only if my computer (desktop) stays powered on all the time which is
not the case. And mailboxes are big enough.

                                     It is counterintuitive

Remember, *ix is both a desktop and serve at the same time.  Thus, break out
of your Windows Mentality.

It seems that you strongly believe in that. Please, don't
underestimate others technical knowledge. I am able to set up
fetchmail et al, but I don't find it necessary nor logical. Let the
engine be complicated as hell (fetchmail, MUA, MTA, MDA, spamassassin,
others), but also let user only touch the steering wheel and ignition
button.

                                                            and non
ergonomic, isn't it?

"Ergonomics" has nothing to with fetchmail.

But it has something to do with setting up your working environment.

Unless "automatically fetching mail so that you don't have to" is considered
ergonomic.

The above makes no sense to me, sorry.

Are there any mail programs which allow seamless integration with
fetchmail/getmail?

All MTAs and MDAs, and Maildir, seamlessly integrate with fetchmail.

Are there any mail programs, which allow all mail server settings
(server, port, user, password, ......) to be passed to/handled by
fetchmail? Like a checkbox "don't download it by yourself, let
fetchmail to do it for you".

Regards,
Robert