Re: Fetchmail and Gmail

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 1:01 PM, Andrei Popescu<andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon,24.Aug.09, 11:37:53, Rob Gom wrote:

[cut]
Ok, so now I see the reasons to move:
1. Power & flexibility:
(if one needs something more than what mail application can offer)

> Yes, in many cases it is, but the "separate tools" approach is more
> flexible and more powerful.

[cut]

2. Mail program limitations:
> Initially moved my mail retrieval+sorting outside the GUI client because
> it couldn't download mail in a separate thread. Then I also moved the
(this is also my case - KMail famous bug)

As for:
"Storing the password encrypted in some file has no benefit over storing
the password in plain text, because anyone who gets the hash will be
able to access your mail.

And if you don't use SSL for connecting to the mail server you can
encrypt the password as much as you like on your system, because it will
be transmitted in clear over the wire. A potential attacker doesn't even
have to break in your system."

To clarify: I don't send passwords in plain text over the net (mainly
SSL/TLS). And I believe that storing passwords encrypted is always
safer than storing them unencrypted.

Regards,
Robert