Re: Fetchmail and Gmail

On Mon,24.Aug.09, 11:37:53, Rob Gom wrote:

> So? Where's the advantage? My mail program fetches mail *for me* from
> my ISP's POP server, passes it thru any filter (let it be
> spamassassin), then writes it to separate folders depending on
> basically anything. Fetchmail, MTA, MDA avoided, whereas the same
> purpose achieved. Easier.

Yes, in many cases it is, but the "separate tools" approach is more
flexible and more powerful.

Initially moved my mail retrieval+sorting outside the GUI client because
it couldn't download mail in a separate thread. Then I also moved the
sending for similar reasons. The added benefit is that switching mail
clients is much easier now:

SMTP server: localhost
IMAP server: localhost

and I'm done.