Re: Cannot Login

On 2009-08-20 12:44, Raquel wrote:
[snip]
root logins allowed and only one user allowed to login with a key.  I
have a firewall and use fail2ban.

Separate h/w firewall, or a software firewall?

I've found that NATting routers give much better security for "desktop" systems, since *typically* there's no need to port-forward anything to a daemon running on the "desktop" machine.

The machine has been hacked by someone using a Romanian IP address
and has been taken offline while I continue to investigate.  Then
I'll do a new install and rebuild.

How'd he get in?

--
Featuring GRATUITOUS ALIEN NUDITY