Cannot Login

I have an odd problem that's developed, and have spent all afternoon
trying to figure out what's going on. My web server (running Lenny) is
running and serving pages. However, I cannot login to the server via
SSH or at the console, which means that I cannot apply updates, change
configuration, or even get in to figure out what's going on.

Any ideas on what happened or on how to get in?  I have access to the
physical machine.

--
Raquel
The test of a government is not how popular it is with the powerful

  --President Jimmy Carter