Re: switching to proprietary ati radeon driver (was Re: Laptop dv6650br is getting so warm)

Liviu Andronic wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 8/16/09, Klistvud <quotations@aliceadsl.fr> wrote:
>>  P.S. I've also noticed that the laptop runs hotter when the free
>>  graphics driver is used, as opposed to the proprietary ATI one.
>>
> I also have an HP Dual core 2.1GHz, and it gets kinda to warm during
> "idle" work (hovers around 65-67 C); my Debian testing is using the
> default drivers for this. On Ubuntu, however, with the proprietary
> drivers installed, temp will stay below 60 for idle usage. (All this
> with "ondemand" cpufreq governor. With "performance" temp is steadily
> 75C, and the fan goes loud.)
>
> I tried to switch Debian to use the fglrx driver following the steps
> suggested on the wiki [1], but I get into trouble. I'm unable to
> perform step 5,
> # modprobe -r radeon drm
>
> since I don't have the drivers loaded:
> debian-liv:/home/liviu# lsmod | grep -i radeon
> debian-liv:/home/liviu# lsmod | grep -i drm
>
> Could anyone suggest how to determine the driver currently used by the system?
> Thank you
> Liviu
>
> [1] http://wiki.debian.org/ATIProprietary

Hi,

I didn't read the previous thread ("Laptop dv6650br...") so I don't know
the details of your setup. Regarding the current driver in use, you can
find it in xorg logs :

grep -i driver /var/log/Xorg.0.log

But no matter what driver you are using now, you just have to setup
correctly fglrx and reboot, and you'll be using fglrx.

Basically what I do is install the necessary fglrx-* packages, don't
forget fglrx-source and "module-assistant", you'll need it later. I have
on my working Squeeze amd64 system :

aptitude search ~S~i~nfglrx
i   fglrx-amdcccle
i A fglrx-atieventsd
i A fglrx-control
i   fglrx-driver
i   fglrx-glx
i   fglrx-source
i   fglrx-kernel-2.6.30.4-perso64  <<< don't look for that one, that's
                                          the module built by
module-assistant

When everything is installed, switch to a virtual console (keys
[alt][ctrl][F1] ) and stop your desktop environment with

# /etc/init.d/gdm stop
or
# invoke-rc.d gdm stop

replace "gdm" with "kdm" if you are using kde instead of Gnome, or the
equivalent for your DE (xfce, Lxde, whatever...).

Build the module with "module-assistant":

# m-a a-i fglrx

or use it's ncurse interface with:

# m-a

When it's done, initialize you xorg.conf with:

# aticonfig --initial

and reboot.

A piece of advice, if you are running a 2.6.30 kernel the testing fglrx
won't build, you have to upgrade xorg and fglrx stuff to Sid. That's
what I am running right now and it works fine. Read about "package
pinning", "/etc/apt/preferences" to keep a mixed system clean.

Ati 9.7 fglrx installer won't build either, and (gentoo) patches
floating around are no good with this version (might work with 9.6).

Good luck ;-)

Tom