Re: Help - Updated Squeeze Last Night and My System is Messed Up!

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 3:22 PM, Javier Barroso <javibarroso@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,
On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 7:18 PM, Mark
Phillips<mark@phillipsmarketing.biz> wrote:
> Javier,
>
> I created a new user, and that login worked correctly. The error dialog
> appeared and then disappeared, but the menu bar and lower panel appeared and
> are working.
>
> Is there a config file I need to remove to get my original login to work?
I had a similar problem (my gnome session was eating all my memory),
and I didn't find any doc about all .gconf/ ¿.gconf2/ ? .gnome/
.gnome2/ .gnomerc, ... directories/files meanings :(

So I don't known which file could be causing this behaviour. Maybe
.xsession-errors could help.

Some web with gnome personal directories meanings and which are obsolete?

Regards,

Thanks for your suggestions. I read through the ubuntu posts about this problem, and tried all the recipes they suggested, and none of them fixed the problem. This is what I did:

1. (ubuntu post) - removed all the .gnome directories in /home/mark, ran dpkg-reconfigure gnome, and rebooted. Gnome made new .gnome files, but the menu bar at the top of the screen is blank and the panel at the bottom is missing. The dirs/files are .gnome, .gnome2, .gnome2_private, and .gtkrc-1.2-gnome2.

2. (other ubuntu post) made sure my /etc/network/interfaces file had the following,
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

and /etc/hosts had:
127.0.0.1 localhost lo narwhale

3. Created a new user fred, and I can login with user fred and everything works correctly - menu bar is at the top, panel at the bottom, and I can use the system.

Some more data about the problem:

1. Before the apt-get update/upgrade, I was able to remotely login with ssh -X, but now I get the error message can't open display.

2. When I login is mark (the old user from before the apt-get/update/upgrade), the system locks up after a few minutes. Three processes take over 80% of the cpu - gnome-panel, Xorg, and metacity. (I have attached a screenshot of top - not sure if it will come through). This is not the case when I log in as fred.

Any suggestions on how to fix this mess, short of moving all my files from user mark to user fred?

Thanks!

Mark