Help - Updated Squeeze Last Night and My System is Messed Up!

I ran my usual apt-get update apt-get dist-upgrade last night on my Debian squeeze system. There were no errors, and when I rebooted, I was able to login, but gnome (1) generated an error message and (2) I only got as far as my wallpaper and items on the Desktop. No menu bar (just white band) and no panel at the bottom of the screen. I tried dpkg-reconfigure gnome, but gnome had been removed! So I reinstalled it, and still the same problem. Any suggestions where to look for the problem or how to fix it? Right now my main machine is no more than a paperweight!

The gnome error message:

There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon.

Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work correctly.

The last error message was:

Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log in.

Thanks!

Mark

P.S. I updated three other machines the same way. This same error message appears sometimes on those machines, but gnome manages to get everything running in spite of it. This is the first failure to actually load the menu bar and panel.