Re: color management?

On Sun, Aug 09, 2009 at 09:23:57PM -0700, jeremy jozwik wrote:
> heya list. ive been working with linux on adjusting my photos for the
> last 3 weeks or so. since ive started ive noticed that the way the
> photos look on my linux laptop are CONSIDERABLY different then the
> color that is shown on a windows machine.
>
> now i would not worry too much about this if it were not for the fact
> that every windows machine i see my uploaded photos with shifts the
> colors.
>
> which leads me to believe there is something amiss on my laptop, the
> source of all the color adjustments.
>
> help!
>
> also, i have gimp set to "no color management" which i found to be the
> setting of the most use on windows when i was using it there.

Laptop screens are optimized for energy efficiency instead of image
quality; their color reproduction may not be as good as an external
monitor and depends strongly on the viewing angle.

Your adjustments correct for the Laptop screen's deficiencies,
but you are breaking your pictures in the process.

"no color management" is seldom the best choice for photo work.

I would suggest you read at least one of the articles listed here:
http://www.outbackphoto.com/myforum/showthread.php?tid=8
or even get the book by Bruce Fraser.

It is important to calibrate and profile your monitor
and use image viewers/editors which support color management:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_color_management

As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, photos for the Web should be in
the sRGB color space, but likely yours are already.

Regards,
Mirko