Re: Package Version Numbers

In <[🔎] 5in185hijnaa5tsr4sjp5586u3ucbrvg1q@4ax.com>, Jeff Grossman wrote:
>"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:
>>In <[🔎] 47pt7511s56vq779jtfp2ap0059a8m4et7@4ax.com>, Jeff Grossman wrote:
>>>mail:~# apt-cache policy php5
>>>php5:
>>>  Installed: 5.2.6.dfsg.1-1+lenny3+custom1
>>>  Candidate: 5.2.9.dfsg.1-4
>>>  Version table:
>>>     5.2.10.dfsg.1-2 0
>>>        200 http://ftp.us.debian.org unstable/main Packages
>>>     5.2.9.dfsg.1-4 0
>>>        300 http://ftp.us.debian.org testing/main Packages
>>> *** 5.2.6.dfsg.1-1+lenny3+custom1 0
>>>        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>>>     5.2.6.dfsg.1-1+lenny3 0
>>>        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org lenny/main Packages
>>>        500 http://security.debian.org lenny/updates/main Packages
>>>
>>>What I don't understand is how come the candidate is 5.2.9 when that
>>>has a pinning of 300, clearly lower than 5.2.6.
>>
>>So, when apt is considering which version to install it starts with:
>>	5.2.10.dfsg.1-2              	200
>>	5.2.9.dfsg.1-4               	300
>>	5.2.6.dfsg.1-1+lenny3+custom1	100
>>	5.2.6.dfsg.1-1+lenny3        	500
>>
>>Then, it throws away anything if a version of
>> less tham 5.2.6.ddfsg.1-1+lenny3+custom1 (current version) and a
>> priority of less than 1000.  This leaves:
>>	5.2.10.dfsg.1-2              	200
>>	5.2.9.dfsg.1-4               	300
>>	5.2.6.dfsg.1-1+lenny3+custom1	100
>>
>>At this point, it chooses the one(s) with the highest priority:
>>	5.2.9.dfsg.1-4               	300
>
>Thank you for this valuable information.  I was not aware of how apt
>or aptitude figured out what to upgrade.

It's mostly documented in the apt_preferences(5) man page.  (One of) the
current aptitude maintainer(s)/developer(s) has been seen on the list, so
this is a good place for questions about mixed systems and associated
issues.

>I guess I will pin my custom
>version of php5 to a priority of 1000 so it does not bother me with
>trying to upgrade anymore.

I suggest a priority and 500 and a hold.  That way, you will not get
upgraded automatically, but you will be informed by apt-get/aptitude if a
new version is available from stable-security (e.g. 5.2.6.dfsg.1-1+lenny4).