Re: Xorg-Xserver Config Issue

On Sat, 2009-08-08 at 09:19 -0400, S. Fishpaste wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> New install using the net-install imaage from Debian.org, installed the base-system only (no desktop), changed my sources list to 'testing' ass the net-install defaults to the current stable. During the net-install I selected the xfce4 desktop.
>
> Everything seemed to go normally except I wasn't prompted to configure xserver-xorg before rebooting. Consequently it installed gdm and on reboot the system freezes shortly after starting gdm.
>
> So I purged gdm and attempted to 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg'. This prompts for keyboard, and language input, but no video prompts. Wierd, I thought that was the way to reconfigure xserver.
>
> I'm not that familiar with the Linux GUI as I usually run my GNU/Linux boxes as GUI-less servers.
>
> So how do I get xfce4 up and running in Xorg ?
>
> Thanks

Well, that method USED to work for selecting video settings.  It no
longer does, everything is done automagically now.  I just installed a
Sid that did not even have an xorg.conf file. I had to make a basic
xorg.conf file to get my X working correctly.  You don't have to make
all if it up, just the parts of what ever stanza you might need.  For
example,

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
EndSection

The above might be your entire xorg.conf file.

To start (and thus test xfce4 and X) you could run startxfce4 and see if
it comes up or not.  If not, start at the x11 logs.  You might have to
modify manually your xorg.conf file.

HTH, still waking up, I tried hard to make sense.

--
Damon Chesser <damon@damtek.com>