Re: WRT54G WAN access failure

On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 11:31 AM, Ron Johnson<ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> On 2009-08-07 21:47, Joel Roth wrote:
>>
>> I'd like to ask for help setting up a used router for my
>> brother.
>>
>> First of all, I get usual internet services without the
>> router:
>>
>> Computer ---> DSL modem
>>
>> I have problems with basic configuration:
>> Computer ---> Router ---> DSL modem
>>
>> The panel LEDs display normally, and the router gets a pingable WAN
>> address from the DSL modem.

How are you pinging the WAN address?  From a separate network?

>> However....
>>
>> ping google.com returns 'unknown host'
>>
>> ping 74.125.45.100 (google.com) returns 'destination unreachable'

This is from your computer, right?  The way I would go about this is
to test pinging the router from your computer (192.168.1.1 for factory
defaults), then test if your router itself can ping google.  (With
firmware from the last year or so, there is an option in the web
configuration tool to have the router itself try pinging an IP).

Like Ron said, check the PC's network connection settings (DHCP vs.
static IP and all that).
I would ensure that your computer is set to use the router's internal
IP as the gateway, also; the PC won't know who to talk to if this
isn't set up right.

Hope that's helpful; let us know what you find next.

Best,
Jeff