Xorg-Xserver Config Issue

Greetings;

New install using the net-install imaage from Debian.org, installed the base-system only (no desktop), changed my sources list to 'testing' ass the net-install defaults to the current stable. During the net-install I selected the xfce4 desktop.

Everything seemed to go normally except I wasn't prompted to configure xserver-xorg before rebooting. Consequently it installed gdm and on reboot the system freezes shortly after starting gdm.

So I purged gdm and attempted to 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg'. This prompts for keyboard, and language input, but no video prompts. Wierd, I thought that was the way to reconfigure xserver.

I'm not that familiar with the Linux GUI as I usually run my GNU/Linux boxes as GUI-less servers.

So how do I get xfce4 up and running in Xorg ?

Thanks