Re: WRT54G WAN access failure

On 2009-08-07 21:47, Joel Roth wrote:
I'd like to ask for help setting up a used router for my
brother.

First of all, I get usual internet services without the
router:

Computer ---> DSL modem

I have problems with basic configuration:
Computer ---> Router ---> DSL modem

The panel LEDs display normally, and the router gets a pingable WAN address from the DSL modem.

By this, do you mean a routeable IP address?

However....

ping google.com returns 'unknown host'

ping 74.125.45.100 (google.com) returns 'destination unreachable'

What if you ping 74.125.45.100?

Resetting the router to factory defaults doesn't help.

Any ideas for what to try? Thanks.

Can your PC see the router itself? My WRT54GL has a web interface, and one of the pages shows the external IP address, DNS addresses, etc.

Also, how is your PC configured?  For DHCP, static, etc?

--
Scooty Puff, Sr
The Doom-Bringer