Re: No sound with Lenny on Dell Insipiron Mini 10v

http://krisrowland.wordpress.com/2009/07/15/fixed-sound-not-working-in-debian-lenny-on-a-dell-mini-9/

> I've run out of ideas, and am totally confused why booting from the Ubuntu
> 9.04 live CD plays sounds while Debian doesn't.  Is there something I
> should
> copy from the Ubuntu CD onto the Debian installation media?  i.e. if there
> is an audio module, etc.  From what I've read support for the audio
> hardware is built into the kernel so why no sound output?
>
> Any help or ideas are welcomed, including if I missed something obvious
> and look like a reTARD, that's fine - I just want sound so I don't have to
> use Ubuntu instead.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

The realtek is the packager of the chip - intel is the chip manufacturer, so
Intel HDA is ok

cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
options snd-hda-intel model=ref index=0

the ref is important to let ALSA guess your audio card

you can try other settings that match your hardware though:

options snd-hda-intel model=dell-m22 index=0
options snd-hda-intel model=gateway index=0 probe_mask=1

have a look at the ALSA Documentation for the proper settings

you can check also the mixer settings (after initial setup they are switched
OFF = NO SOUND)

regards