about a feature which I found in Gnome

I run Gnome on my desktop. I have only a minimal understanding of its
internals. In it, I have seen a feature that I really like, - and
several features that I really don't like.

The features that I don't like are motivating me to consider moving to
a different, less featureful, desktop environment. But I have no idea
how to set up the one feature that I really like:

I like the way I can plug a USB device into a USB socket and have it
mounted automatically within a few seconds. I expecially like the way
a device that has a label given to it is mounted on a mount-point that
is named with that label, and when I un-mount the device that mount
point is removed from /media - all automatically.

What are the packages that actually implement this feature? Can I
simply install those packages and have the feature without having the
rest of Gnome? Does it come automatically if I attempt to transition
to Xfce, for example? I'm pretty sure the feature also comes with KDE,
but that, I think, is unlikely to be free of un-desired features.

A feature of Gnome that I especially really really don't like is the
use of multiple different names for the same thing in the user
documentation. I have lost count of the different variations on
network-manager that appear on the screen and in the docs. Not good,
IMHO.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net