Re: cups undocumented deprecation

Apparently cups doesn't consider root part of lpadmin group.

On Wed, 5 Aug 2009, Roger Leigh wrote:

On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 04:26:38AM -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
The command line tools in cups current debian version are deprecated and
that deprecation is undocumented.  I proved this a few minutes ago by
setting up my printer using the web interface and set printer options
after successfully adding the printer.  Before I did any of this
configuration though I erased /var/log/cups/error_log.  When I finished
selecting the printer and setting defaults for the printer using the web
interface though, I couldn't find /var/log/cups/error_log, it wasn't
there.

You probably need to restart CUPS for this to be recreated.

When I had done this using the command line tools though I got
log entries with UNAUTHORIZED printed next to each of them.  All very
interesting, the command line tools can now probably be removed since
those apparently no longer work.

All the command-line tools do work, but you may have permissions
problems.  For administrative tasks, such as adding and modifying
printers, the user needs to be a member of the lpadmin group.
Normal users also need permission to print; by default all users
should have permission, but if you get an unauthorised error, then
they might be set too strictly.  cupsd.conf has a reasonable default
configuration for these settings for a typical system.

Regards,
Roger

--
 .''`.  Roger Leigh