Re: cups undocumented deprecation

On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 04:26:38AM -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> The command line tools in cups current debian version are deprecated and
> that deprecation is undocumented.  I proved this a few minutes ago by
> setting up my printer using the web interface and set printer options
> after successfully adding the printer.  Before I did any of this
> configuration though I erased /var/log/cups/error_log.  When I finished
> selecting the printer and setting defaults for the printer using the web
> interface though, I couldn't find /var/log/cups/error_log, it wasn't
> there.

You probably need to restart CUPS for this to be recreated.

> When I had done this using the command line tools though I got
> log entries with UNAUTHORIZED printed next to each of them.  All very
> interesting, the command line tools can now probably be removed since
> those apparently no longer work.

All the command-line tools do work, but you may have permissions
problems.  For administrative tasks, such as adding and modifying
printers, the user needs to be a member of the lpadmin group.
Normal users also need permission to print; by default all users
should have permission, but if you get an unauthorised error, then
they might be set too strictly.  cupsd.conf has a reasonable default
configuration for these settings for a typical system.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh