Re: A Laptop where all hardware is perfectly supported

On Sun, 2009-08-02 at 18:34 -0700, fred basset wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'll soon be able to spec. a new laptop for my new job.  Can anyone
> recommend any systems that can run the latest Debian
> and support all the hardware out of the box?  I prefer IBM and Dell
> laptops myself.
> It would be great to hear from anyone who's got a perfectly working machine.
>
> Thanks,
> Fred

Dell Vostros (at least mine) worked out of the box except for wireless
and that was trivial to install.  Just use a wire, install the OS read
the /var/log/messages after your boot and it gives you a link to go read
to install the wireless.

I also have a Tohshiba 17" desktop replacement (P305D-S8900) that (here,
USA, GA) you can pick up in Office depot for about $550.  Everything
works out of the box, but of course you have a battery life of minutes.
However, if you don't need a road warrior, lots of processing power (you
can run kvm machines on this box, for example) and an OUTSTANDING
speaker system it can't be beat.  Not all (most?) Toshibas are Linux
friendly.  I took a ubuntu disk with me when I was shopping to test.

HTH

--
Damon Chesser <damon@damtek.com>