Re: HOWTO enhance Debian by removing HAL

In <[🔎] 20090804111458.GA4558@keuner.winnegan.fake>, Siggy Brentrup wrote:
>On Sun, Aug 02, 2009 at 18:13 +0200, Siggy Brentrup wrote:
>> On Sun, Aug 02, 2009 at 09:28 -0500, Chris wrote:
>> > To me, the freedom is still there. I now have the freedom of either
>> > removing it or leaving it. The choice is still mine.
>> We'll see, my choices are: current X, no HAL.
>Where's my freedom, I'm stuck with ancient X if I don't want to
>run otherwise unused SW?

Your freedoms:
0. Run the software for any purpose.
1. Study the software and tell others what you've discovered.
2. Modify the software in it's preferred form for modifications.
3. Distribute the software and your modifications.

You don't have any of these with Xf86, Reflection/X, or many of the other X
servers out there.[1]  You do with the packages Debian provides from main.

You can exercise those freedoms to reduce or remove Xorg's dependency on
Hal.  It may take some resources, but anything worth doing usually does.

The Debian maintainers for Xorg do not feel using their resources toward
that goal is not the way to maximize value to Debian users.  Luckily for
them, you don't have the power/"freedom" to force them to use their
resources the way you want.

If you feel you are lacking the required resources to make the change, you
may want to look for others with similar goals and pool your resources.  If
you have the wrong kind of resources, there is a fairly open market for
exchanging time+skill (services), currency, and goods.

[1] You also don't have this right with VirtualBox (non-OSE), VMWare,
Oracle, MS SQL Server, IIS, MS IE, Adobe Flash Player, Adobe Acrobat Reader,
etc., etc.