Re: HOWTO enhance Debian by removing HAL

* Siggy Brentrup <debian@psycho.i21k.de> [2009 Aug 02 11:54 -0500]:
> On Sun, Aug 02, 2009 at 18:30 +0200, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
> > Sven Joachim wrote:
> > > This will take at least one more release cycle, more likely two, if it
> > > is ever accomplished.  It is very hard to remove functionality from the
> > > set of essential packages.
> >
> > So probably still better to help speed up that process instead of forking.
>
> 5 years with 2 release cycles didn't change much apart from removed
> bashisms.  It's still uncertain whether another 2 cycles will be
> enough to achieve that goal.  I'm beginning to doubt mainstream Debian
> will have bash out of essential in my lifetime (63yo).  A possible
> solution is a new set of essential packages, implying a fork.
>
> The point of my aside you kindly jumped on was while doing a fork
> don't forget to remove bash from essential.

Please enlighten me as to why removing Bash from essential is
important.  My understanding was that Bash was the defacto standard
shell these days.  I understand that Dash is smaller which means it
could be useful.  Is Dash so much smaller/faster that it offers a real
performance advantage over Bash on smaller systems like netbooks?  Or
is it something else?

- Nate >>