Re: HOWTO enhance Debian by removing HAL

On 2009-08-02 16:55 +0200, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:

> Siggy Brentrup wrote:
>> Yes, even if it means to back out X's dependency on the almost dead
>> HAL.  I'm not yet fully decided, but I might even be inclined to help
>> him forking a more back to the roots Debian (without bash essential).
>
> FWIW, removing bash from the list of essential packages (replacing it by
> dash) is one of the release goals for squeeze [1].

Not really, the goal for squeeze is to install dash as /bin/sh by
default.  Making bash non-essential is a different (and harder) task.

> It might be more worthwhile for all of us, if you help debian to
> achieve the goal instead of yet another fork. ;-)

This will take at least one more release cycle, more likely two, if it
is ever accomplished.  It is very hard to remove functionality from the
set of essential packages.

Sven