Re: mutt: compose message in new window [was: Re: Musings on debian-user list]

On Sb,01.aug.09, 19:27:49, Ron Johnson wrote:

> >The proposed solution involves the script[1]:
> >
> >,----[ external-reply.sh ]
> >| #!/bin/sh
> >| DRAFT="$1"
> >| cp "$DRAFT" "$DRAFT.tmp"
> >| (
> >|     xterm -e "exec mutt -H \"$DRAFT.tmp\""
> >|     sleep 1
> >|     rm -f "$DRAFT.tmp"
> >| ) &
> >|
> >| exit 0
> >`----
> >
> >which you set as your editor (set editor="external-reply.sh"). Now
> >whenever you compose a message it opens in a new xterm and you can
> >use the first mutt to do whatever you want.
> >
> >The only trouble with it is that the second mutt prompts for "To:"
> >and "Subject:". There's a hint in the thread about using a macro
> >to work around it, but I don't have any idea where to start.
> >
> >[1] In order to debianize "xterm -e" should be replaced with
> >"x-terminal-emulator -e sh -c".
>
> Blech.  What a royal PITA!

I'm not sure exactly to which part you refer (that's why I didn't trim),
but yes, this is *not* an optimal solution and I don't think it can be
done right without patching mutt itself.

Unfortunately switching to a GUI client is a no go for me. I just worked
a bit with claws-mail again (the only one that comes close to what I
need), but I was much slower than with mutt.

The solution that works best for me so far is to have a keybinding to
start a new mutt with a slightly different config than the "main" mutt,
optimized for copy-pasting stuff.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)