Re: Reason to not upgrade to 5.0 - was Re: Problem with Debian 4.0 security

On Sun, Aug 02, 2009 at 02:02:56PM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Aug 2009, Brian Marshall wrote:
>> On Sun, Aug 02, 2009 at 10:00:44AM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
>>> The problem with downloading the applications from seamonkey, is
>>> that they are .tar.gz files, rather than .deb packages, and my
>>> experience with using .tar.gz files for installing software, rather
>>> than .deb packages, is that the .tar.gz files are messy to install,
>>> and the effects horrendous.
>>
>> Actually, the tarballs from Mozilla aren't source, so they don't
>> require installation. You can run the firefox/seamonkey/whatever binary
>> from the directory you extracted it to.
>
> The problem with that, is that, when updating the version, as I had done
> in the past, I always had to create and go down to, a new, lower
> directory level, and I ended up with something like seven directory
> levels for the path of the installed application, before I simply gave
> up updating the application.
>
> Now, I just avoid .tar.gz files.

I don't get it. I've been using tarballs since, well, mozilla had become
usable (0.6 or so). You move the old dir out of the way, untar either
directly into the location you want or someplace else and mv in. Start
it and if all goes well remove the old.

-Slightly- more combersome than apt-get install blah but it's fairly
simple and it works.

--
  "A search of his car uncovered pornography, a homemade sex aid, women's
  stockings and a Jack Russell terrier."