Re: Reason to not upgrade to 5.0 - was Re: Problem with Debian 4.0 security

On 2009-08-01 12:33 +0200, Bret Busby wrote:

> Actually, in today reconsidering upgrading to Debian 5.0, and, reading
> the information on the Debian web site, and, in checking using the
> package search facility on the Debian web site, I have found that
> Debian 5.0 excludes Iceape and Seamonkey, and does not include any
> Mozilla applications, so, with the elimination of Iceape/Seamonkey,
> Debian 5.0 is simply not as functional, or, as useful to me, as Debian
> 4.0.

It is true that Iceape/Seamonkey are not included, but that does not
hold for other Mozilla applications.  And running the Iceape version in
Debian 4.0 is a _big_ security problem, so that is no reason to stay at
4.0 (it may be a reason to switch to another distribution instead).

If you want to have that particular application, your best bet is to
download either Seamonkey 1.17 or 2.0b1 directly from
http://www.seamonkey-project.org/.  Both versions should run out of the
box on Debian 5.0.

Sven