Reason to not upgrade to 5.0 - was Re: Problem with Debian 4.0 security

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009, Bret Busby wrote:

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:

Bret Busby wrote:
I am running Debian 4.0 on this computer.

The facility Desktop -> Lock Screen, is not working.

It's quite probable that this is just a configuration issue. What is
your configuration?

Which configuration?

In which file would I find the specific configuration to which you refer?

If you are concerned about security, you should schedule your upgrade to
Debian "lenny" 5.0, which is the current version of Debian.

It doesn't look as nice.

Actually, in today reconsidering upgrading to Debian 5.0, and, reading the information on the Debian web site, and, in checking using the package search facility on the Debian web site, I have found that Debian 5.0 excludes Iceape and Seamonkey, and does not include any Mozilla applications, so, with the elimination of Iceape/Seamonkey, Debian 5.0 is simply not as functional, or, as useful to me, as Debian 4.0.

I was investigating upgrading to Debian 5.0, as a printer that I have just bought, which appears too difficult to get running on Debian 4.0, apparently operates as a Plug And Play device on Debian 5.0 and Ubuntu 8.04, but, it appears that I will simply have to sacrifice using the printer with Debian, as Debian 5.0, with which the printer apparently works well, is too lacking in functionality and usefulness, to switch to.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."