Re: Reason to not upgrade to 5.0 - was Re: Problem with Debian 4.0 security

On 2009-08-02 01:02, Bret Busby wrote:
[snip]

I think it is the UUID's. Long character identifiers for partitions, that require a specific process to find what is the UUID for a partition, then it has to be entered, in a different syntax, to have logical drives automatically mounted, on bootup.

Makes sysadmin somewhat more complicated than it need be, as, from memory, I have previously done such things, by simply using /dev/hd<a|c><x> as the logical drive identifier, and, the mountpoint name (eg /mount/data1).

I have not had to use UUID's in the procedure, in Debian.

You must be using a relatively old kernel, or a single hard drive, or both.

For (much?) more than a year, since SATA drives became commonplace popular and the kernel started using libata, drive letters have no longer been "static". What now might be sda might on next reboot be sdb.

Obviously. this plays havoc with fstab, so there's been a big move (don't know if it's all distros or just Debian-based systems) to using UUIDs, since they, by definition, don't change.

If you, like many, don't like them then you are more than welcome to add labels to your partitions and modify fstab accordingly.

--
Scooty Puff, Sr
The Doom-Bringer