Re: Musings on debian-user list

On 2009-07-28 21:15, Nate Bargmann wrote:
* Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> [2009 Jul 28 13:46 -0500]:

I'd suggest that you first wean yourself off Nautilus, doing as much file management as possible from the CLI. Then, one by one, find CLI replacements for the management tasks you currently use a GUI for.

Balderdash!!  Yes, knowing cp, mv, ls, and friends is useful and at
times even necessary, but do install the mc package (Midnight
Commander) and enjoy the Swiss Army Chainsaw of Linux system

To each his own, but there are little inconveniences about mc that I just don't like, mainly having to do with, among other things, lack of newline and (maybe, it's been a long time) wildcard support in dialog boxes.

Also, can you script mc?
for i in *jpg; do
    a=$(echo "$i" | cut -c22-)
    b=$(echo "$a" | tr \  _)