Re: Installation trouble

Plz disable html formatting in gmail.

On 2009-07-27 11:05, Matt Seburn wrote:
Hi all, I'm having a lot of difficulty getting Debian set up on a server
here at work.  It has 6 SATA hard drives and (I think) a SATA CD/DVD ROM
drive as well.

That would mean 7 SATA devices, and thus a new and expensive mobo.

Also, shouldn't you know what kind of CD drive you have? (The BIOS should help you there.)

I just migrated my disks to a new 6 SATA mobo, and had to RMA an ASRock board because of flakiness.

                I first started out with Lenny.. it would boot off the cdrom
and start the install, but when it got to the detect cdrom stage it would
fail with "no common cdrom drive was detected".  I fiddled with the BIOS
settings but couldn't get it to work.  So I tried with Squeeze instead..
this time the install went through just fine, no issues.. but now I get
these messages:

exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6 frozen
cmd a0/00:00:00:24:00/00:00:00:00:00/a0 tag 0 pio 36 in
status: { DRDY }

Try Ubuntu 9.04 or Sidux 2009-02. Monitor syslog and see if it still happens.

repeating every few seconds on whichever TTY is active, making it impossible
to even log in.  I thought I'd try reinstalling Squeeze this time with the
desktop environment, so that at least I could log in and fix the issue, but
now it won't boot from the cdrom.

Could it be a loose or bad cable?  Or a bad drive?  How old is it?

Strip the system down to one HDD and the CD drive, *using different cables*! See if

So now it looks like I'm stuck.. I can't log in and fix what's there, and I
can't boot from the cdrom to do a fresh install.  Please help, I don't know
what to do next.  I have installed Debian before several times, but have had
no trouble before now.. and I do know a few things, but I am far from an
expert.

--
Scooty Puff, Sr
The Doom-Bringer