Installation trouble

Hi all, I'm having a lot of difficulty getting Debian set up on a server here at work.  It has 6 SATA hard drives and (I think) a SATA CD/DVD ROM drive as well.  I first started out with Lenny.. it would boot off the cdrom and start the install, but when it got to the detect cdrom stage it would fail with "no common cdrom drive was detected".  I fiddled with the BIOS settings but couldn't get it to work.  So I tried with Squeeze instead.. this time the install went through just fine, no issues.. but now I get these messages:

exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6 frozen
cmd a0/00:00:00:24:00/00:00:00:00:00/a0 tag 0 pio 36 in
status: { DRDY }

repeating every few seconds on whichever TTY is active, making it impossible to even log in.  I thought I'd try reinstalling Squeeze this time with the desktop environment, so that at least I could log in and fix the issue, but now it won't boot from the cdrom.

So now it looks like I'm stuck.. I can't log in and fix what's there, and I can't boot from the cdrom to do a fresh install.  Please help, I don't know what to do next.  I have installed Debian before several times, but have had no trouble before now.. and I do know a few things, but I am far from an expert.

Thanks,
Matt