Installing with no swap partition

A couple of questions (background is below the questions if you want to read):

Question 1: In the Debian manual it says a swap partition isn't needed but recommended for efficiency.  Anyone else installed without swap and had success?  Is my installation a ticking time bomb if I don't have a swap partition?

Question 2: I've had recent clean Lenny installations on DBAN'd disks hang at "activating swap file" upon boot up, where I needed to force shut down the computer.  Without the separate swap partition this isn't an issue, so is this the right solution?  These are completely fresh installs with no other OS's so I can't imagine the swap partition being corrupt.

Additional background info:
I understand the purpose of the swap partition (in general).  On a recent installation dual-booting with an exisiting xp installation, couldn't get linux to install to the entire 14 GB free space I created via gparted; instead it partitioned a section that it needed and added the remainder of the space to the xp partition (when attempting to run update manager after installing, linux ran out of disk space so I decided to try other installation options).  So on the second installation (after deleting all linux partitions and blanking with zeros), again had 14 GB free space but this time I manually set up the partitions.  Not being very experienced at this (always have used guided partitioning before), I set one logical partition the size of the entire 14 GB free space - no swap partition, as I couldn't see where to add that in via the partition options during installation.  Installation went great, linux runs perfectly fine, with 2 primary partitions within the logical partition.

Thanks for any input.  This was actually for a Ubuntu install side-by-side with xp, I hope this doesn't break any mailing list rules so I apologize if it is considered off-topic.

Mark