Re: Safest maintenance of a sid system

On 2009-07-27 02:32, Anthony Campbell wrote:
On 27 Jul 2009, Siggy Brentrup wrote:
On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 07:45 +0100, AG wrote:
Hi

Having recently upgraded to sid, I want to try to ensure that I am
able to maintain a more or less stable system under those
circumstances and in the full knowledge that, by definition, sid is
unstable and may be subject to breakages.
You say it yourself, if you can't cope with breakages including losing
all your $HOME,  stay with stable.

In my understanding there is no warranty whatsoever that testing /
unstable won't burn your house, void the universe or whatever you can
imagine.

my 2¢
  Siggy

I think that to use 'stable' and 'sid' in the same sentence is a
contradiction in terms. That said, I do run sid and there are not too
many problems except when there is a major upgrade of something major
like X. On those occasions it's best to hang back till things sort
themselves out. Other than that, I watch out for threats to remove
packages (often a bad sign) and I run apt-listbugs; if any bugs are
flagged I look at them before upgrading and hold any packkages I'm
worried about.

Exactly.  Sid is the antithesis of "how do I automate upgrades?".

Never be afraid to press N when asked if you want to upgrade.

"apt-show-versions -u" is also useful for targeted installs when you see that a dist-upgrade wants to remove something important.

--
Scooty Puff, Sr
The Doom-Bringer