Re: Safest maintenance of a sid system

On 27 Jul 2009, Siggy Brentrup wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 07:45 +0100, AG wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Having recently upgraded to sid, I want to try to ensure that I am
> > able to maintain a more or less stable system under those
> > circumstances and in the full knowledge that, by definition, sid is
> > unstable and may be subject to breakages.
>
> You say it yourself, if you can't cope with breakages including losing
> all your $HOME,  stay with stable.
>
> In my understanding there is no warranty whatsoever that testing /
> unstable won't burn your house, void the universe or whatever you can
> imagine.
>
> my 2¢
>   Siggy

I think that to use 'stable' and 'sid' in the same sentence is a
contradiction in terms. That said, I do run sid and there are not too
many problems except when there is a major upgrade of something major
like X. On those occasions it's best to hang back till things sort
themselves out. Other than that, I watch out for threats to remove
packages (often a bad sign) and I run apt-listbugs; if any bugs are
flagged I look at them before upgrading and hold any packkages I'm
worried about.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk