Re: Sid: Grub2 faling to boot: Unknown device UUID

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 13:05:49 -0700
Paul Scott <pslist@ultrasw.com> wrote:

> Matthew Moore wrote:
> > On Friday July 24 2009 9:49:38 am Micha Feigin wrote:
> >
> >> try looking
> >> for a uuid option under /etc/default/grub2 or /etc/grub2 or something
> >> similar (not sure where the settings are, try looking at the comment at the
> >> start of /boot/grub/grub.cfg or find my earlier mail in this thread)
> >>

> > The option is at the end of the configuration file in /etc/default/grub. Once
> > you change the file, you need to run update-grub to get the changes propagated.
> > If you are booting from a livecd, the easiest way to get this to work is to
> > chroot into your root filesystem and then make the changes and run update-grub.
> >

> Thanks!  Glad to have a solution.   This is exactly my situation.
>
> Can you also tell me how to go the other way; to get booting to work
> with uuid's?  Is it as simple as changing the device name in /etc/fstab
> to a uuid or is that where the connection is made?

No, don't know how to make it work (are you using a custom kernel by any
chance? I think that it needs kernel support).

I do know to answer the fstab part of the question though, fstab has nothing to
do with that part of the booting process. It is used by the init scripts and
mount. It's the kernel that needs to recognize the uuid values in order to boot.