Re: Sid: Grub2 faling to boot: Unknown device UUID

Matthew Moore wrote:
On Friday July 24 2009 9:49:38 am Micha Feigin wrote:
try looking
for a uuid option under /etc/default/grub2 or /etc/grub2 or something
similar (not sure where the settings are, try looking at the comment at the
start of /boot/grub/grub.cfg or find my earlier mail in this thread)

The option is at the end of the configuration file in /etc/default/grub. Once you change the file, you need to run update-grub to get the changes propagated. If you are booting from a livecd, the easiest way to get this to work is to chroot into your root filesystem and then make the changes and run update-grub.

Thanks!  Glad to have a solution.   This is exactly my situation.

Can you also tell me how to go the other way; to get booting to work with uuid's? Is it as simple as changing the device name in /etc/fstab to a uuid or is that where the connection is made?

TIA,

Paul Scott

MM